Sunday, December 12, 2010

Game 13 - Green Bay Packers @ Home

Surprise!

The Lions win their 3rd game of the season 7-3 against the powerful Green Bay Packers. Of course, Packer fans are complaining that their starting quarterback was injured during the game and their 2nd string QB just couldn't get the job done... never mind that the Lions started their game with their 3rd string QB and without many other starters as well (I believe they have 14 players total on IR now). What did suck was that Rodgers is my starting QB in several FFL contests and now I may be out of the playoffs, but I'm not complaining.

It was a pretty ugly game, both defenses (yes, the Lions defense too) played hard and well. Surprising many football fans, national media types, and the Packers themselves. Actually, since the Lions offense was supposed to be the strength of the team this year, it probably surprised a large number of Lions fans too. Despite the fact that the Lions defense has been playing fairly well lately.

You have to give some credit to the offense though... there were a lot of run plays in this game that kept the Packers offense sitting down. I would suggest the Lions get on with signing long term some of those that helped, like Logan for example.

I was surprised the officiating was fairly competent and fair this game. I know I shouldn't be that way, but some of the games this year have jaded me in that regard.

There were a LOT of things that could have gone better. On offense, on Defense, on Special Teams. What surprises many though is that the Lions have not started to just mail it in. They aren't making it to post-season this year so the tendency for a player to not give it his all has to be overcome. It was hinted at in a previous game that this happened, and I'm not saying it was so then, but if there was any minds starting to wonder the coaching staff has corrected it completely. This was a very hard fought game, right up to the end.

Now if the Lions can remember just exactly how hard you have to play to win in this league then good things can start to happen. I think it's starting to sink in... and I think many will be surprised at how well the Lions do in the future.

No comments: