Sunday, September 23, 2018

Week 3 2018, Detroit Lions vs New England Patriots @ home.


Stunned!

The 1-2 Detroit Lions beat the 1-2 New England Patriots by a score of 26-10. I think it is safe to say that mostly NO ONE saw this coming. I know that Patricia knows the Patriots very well, and that his desire to win was probably very strong (and that's an inadequate thought) but mostly no one saw this coming. Most were, in fact, stunned!

Matthew Stafford was 27 of 36 (75%) for 262 yards and 2 TDs. Most importantly according to the press, is that the Lions had 101 yards on the ground by Kerryon Johnson, the first one hundred yard rusher for the Lions in over 5 years. In total, the Lions had 159 yards rushing to go with thei 262 yards passing. Meanwhile the Patriots managed 89 yards rushing and only 133 yards passing all by Tom Brady. 14 of 26 (53.85%) for 133 yards 1 TD and 1 INT is astounding, for any defense, let alone the Lions much malingered defense. I am stunned! There was no way I foresaw this kind of proficiency from the Lions defense. The offense I was thinking would get tons of garbage time stats, but that too was a nothing.

I was impressed that when there were seconds to go in the first half the Lions did not just run for a few yards and let the time run out like they would have done under Caldwell... which is a thing. Even though they did not score they did keep playing and ran the clock off while still trying to go down the field. That was a much needed change of attitude in my opinion.

Further more, the defense, though in my opinion, undermanned, was able to hold Tom Brady to 133 yards and then beat his team by 16 points. Once again, I and everyone I know, am STUNNED!

So here we are, week three of preseason (yes, I know it's week three of the regular season but Patricia sat the starters so much it might as well be week three of preseason) and they are finally appearing to understand their roles, in both offense and defense. Whether this education has stuck into their craws is yet to be seen, but it's a very good start. Again, I never thought the Lions could win this game, let alone by two full scores, so I am stunned, and I am also very happy! Can we do this again next week please? Thank you.

No comments: