Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Week 1, 2018 - Detroit Lions vs New York Jets @ Home


Not ready at all.

The (now 0-1) Detroit Lions played Monday Night Football at home against the visiting (now 1-0) New York Jets and were soundly beaten 17-48. They were beaten in all aspects of the game and it was readily apparent they were not in the least bit ready at all.

I normally post blog entries after every pre-season game, but this year all the games were used for player evaluation and not for implementing game specific plays, so I didn't bother. I did go to Detroit from the 28th of July to the 1st of August to watch three open practices, and I did update my estimated depth chart as usual, but I didn't have the time or inclination to blog about the preseason games. Now I find it's week 1 of the 2018 season and I wish I didn't have to blog about this game either.

Matthew Stafford was 27 of 46 (58.696%) for 286 yards and one touchdown but also with 4 interceptions. This is horrible. Considering the core of his offense is back from last year along with the coordinator; but with new OL, RB, and QB coaches... who knows what went wrong here... but it is completely safe to say that Stafford was not ready at all to play week 1. (Not to mention the pain he was in due to the OL also not being ready at all to play).

Meanwhile the opposing QB, one Mr Darnold - the youngest QB to start ever in week 1 - was 16 of 21 (76.19%) for 198 yards 2 TDs and only 1 INT (the very first play of his career). Only 4 missed passes in a game as a rookie in his first ever game... inexcusable. The Jet were ready to play... the Lions... were not even close to ready to play.

The Lions had only 15 attempted runs for 39 yards, while the defense allowed 36 attempts for 169 yards and 2 TDs. Stop me if any of this sounds familiar.

Special Teams was also not ready... allowing 239 return yards to the Lions 37 yards. Then there were the 2 missed field goals for the Lions (none for the Jets)... and I didn't even go into the missed tackles, the drops (some in the endzone), or Cassels interception.

The Lions came out of pre-season pretty healthy and completely unprepared for the season. There were no aspects of their game that appeared to be ready to play. Golladay and Diggs did a few good things, and the rest of the team was in week one of preseason (readiness wise).

Blame whoever you want for the loss, me... I blame the coaching staff for not having the team ready to play, at all.

No comments: